Thursday, September 18, 2008

Parker's Surgery

Parker had surgery on September 3rd to repair a communicating hydrocele. The condition is fairly common and the procedure went smoothly. We had to be down at the surgery center by 8:30am. Parker could have no food or water which was devastating because Parker loves breakfast. As most of you know, Parker is not an "easy going" child. He wants what he wants, period. So, that being said, he was not a happy camper in the waiting room. We were only there 10 minutes when one of the office staff pulled me aside and said there were complaints that he was being too loud and that I needed to "please take him out in the lobby." Ok, whatever, I took him out in the lobby...until he found the drinking fountain. I went back inside, pretty frustrated by now, and asked them what I was supposed to do. I can't wait in the waiting room because we're being too loud. We can't wait in the lobby because Parker can't drink before surgery. So, they stuck us in a room in the back and shut the door on us. Needless to say, I was NOT impressed with our treatment. Have they never had an upset child come in before? Maybe one that is scared, hungry and in an unfamiliar place? Once they took him back for the procedure, which was after 10am, things were fine. He was only gone for about 45 minutes. When I went back to recovery to see him he was sucking on an otter pop ready to go home. Usually the kids will have some after affects from the anesthesia; they'll be really tired and sleep for several hours... not Parker. He was trying to run around and be crazy right off the bat. He slept for maybe an hour and a half and other than that, you'd never known he had surgery. -That boy makes me tired :-)

This was taken about an hour after we got home. I love how his leg is propped up on the couch.

10 comments:

heidi said...

that is funny that he has his leg proped up to the side of the couch.

sorry they were so rude to you before the surgery. It so annoying that they make little kids wait so stinking long before their surgery. W/ Preston's tube surgery we had to be there at 4:45am and didn't get back there for surgery until like 8:00, & I don't know what the point of me waiting for so long was. I could have let him sleep till 7:00 brought him in & been ready with everything by 8:00. But still the kids have to be starving & waiting for so long.... of course they are going to be grumpy.

MyKelle J said...

ha ha I love that he has his leg propped up like that. Its so cute! Thats frustrating when you have a negative experience in a doctors office. What the heck do they expect you to do? Its hard enough for me to not be difficult before a surgery; I can only imagine how tough it must have been for Parker. Glad to hear that it all went well though. We need to get together soon!

p.s. I always forget that you and heidi are relaed now! I love it!

Renee said...

Hunter had that same surgery when he was 10 months old. He wakes up early and has to eat breakfast asap. He still is that way today. We were lucky and his surgery started at 8am, but it was very hard and sad as a mother to not let him eat. Hunter is and was always a happy kid, but he was not so happy that morning. After his surgery he drank 5 bottles of apple juice. The nurses were amazed. He too like Parker was off and running. My children never sit down for to long, but hey I love it.

McMemories said...

oh poor kid. One of the twins has a hydrocele, we went to the surgeon to have him look and said it wasn't bad and to wait. We'll see.
Too funny with his leg propped up, such a boy!

Jenni Sue said...

Wow...so much going on with you! I hope you're doing well and things slow down so you can catch a breath. I'm in the mood for a molten any time! Let's plan it.

queenbee4 said...

sorry you had to go through that! I can't believe how big everyone is getting! It is good to hear what you are up to- hope everything is going well
Layne

Michelle Johnston said...

Hey Trisha! I cant believe how big your kids are! Russell just looks SOOOO old now. I totally understand your tiredness with the terrible 2's. Allyson has been my worst by FAR! It must be the 3rd child syndrome:) Hey, Brent just took a job in Kansas City. Plan a trip and come see us!!!!We miss you guys.

Anonymous said...

Man I was irritated just reading that post, what hospital was that at? That is crazy, some people...
Glad everything went well and that he recovered quickly, poor little guy. I was just looking at your kids individual picts on the side bar, they are so gorgeous!

Julz said...

Hi Trisha, your family is so grown up and SO beautiful! Miss you!

Greg & Anna said...

Hey guys! It's good to connect again. Glad you are all doing well!
Love,
Anna